Monday, October 22, 2007

Trench Journal - Writing Extensions

Dear Mom and Dad,

Since I have been away fighting in the war Paul Baulmer and I have gotten a lot closer as friends. He has my back and has helpped me when I needed him. I have gotten wounded in my leg and it is so painful that I am being rushed to the infirmary right as I am writing. I do no remember where I am, what I was doing to get hurt this badly and I don't even remember the other soldier's names except for Paul and Muller. I should have been more careful in whatever I was doing at that moment but instead I wasn't and did my own thing. I know I have to face consequences but I don't know what they are right now.

After I was checked into the infirmary and put into a bed I was not really cared for until the next day. Paul and my friend Muller came to visit me today and they were so thoughtfu to bring me my things. Before they came in to see me an orderlie stopped and told them that i had my leg amputated and this I did not know. While they were here I thought back to when I was with them roasting horse flesh and squatting in the shell holes. I also remember when you first brought me to the stationbefore we left and I was embarassed by you. That was when you told Paul to look after and take care of me and he agreed but now since my leg has been amputated and I am slowly fading away he feels he hasn't done his job.

Paul is really ashamed for not taking better care of me and he didn't have the heart to wirte you this letter to tell you that I was dieing. When my friend Muller comes and visits he watns the boots that you gave me but I tell him no because they remind me of you. I remember the last time I saw your face and you were a good plump matron but I have always loved you. I am in so much pain and I have caught a really bad fever so I don't think that I will be here much longer. I ended up telling Paul to give Muller the boots since I have no reason for them and he does. I am sorry I didn't inform you of this incident earlier but I didn't know how to, but I guess I will see you in heaven one day soon and please don't take your life to be with me.

Love your son,
Kemmerich



I, Paul Baulmer, am frustrated with everything because my friend Kemmerich just died and it was my job to look after him for his mom but i feel like i didn't do my job. These lyrics describe me as a person because i dont want to show my frustration off to the other soldiers but at the same time i am protecting the country and have the world's weight on my shoulders.


I'm supposed to be the soldier who never blows his composure

Even though I hold the weight of the whole world on my shoulders

I am never supposed to show it, my crew ain't supposed to know it



During World War I other soldiers and I have given up and thought that we couldn't fight worth anything. Even though we have to fight everyday and take a chance of giving up we go out and protect our country. This piece of art reflects this chapter because the soldier is beat up and has all of these wounds just like Kemmerich had before he passed. Since the soldiers in the war with me are my brothers I have their backs and I help them whenever they need it. We can fight its just that other nations don't take the time to listen to what we have to say and look at what our structure is like.






































No comments: